|Art Project Help
||[Apr. 30th, 2014|04:04 pm]
I am working on an art project for an upcoming event and I need some volunteers to help me. If this post is not acceptable, let me know or feel free to remove it! Originally I was not going to tell participants the end goal of the piece (so as not to color people's replies), but in order to keep this relevant to the community, I'll disclose the purpose of this piece.
My plan is to create a collage/drawing/mixed media piece inspired by internet profiles. The intention is to explore perceptions of gender, sexuality, and identity through anonymity. The internet provides a space where people can reveal as much or as little as they wish, having a platform where identities can be expressed without having to reveal your physical identity. By using an alias or by avoiding use of personal photographs, people can create an identity for themselves or feel free to express their identity which they may suppress in "real life".
In creating the piece, I will be collaging/painting/drawing profile images for each participant. Each image will become part of a single larger piece. The profile images will show the internal, emotional, or mental identity of a person without revealing the physical. Rather than creating portraits based on a person's appearance, the portraits will be created from each participants description of themselves and their interests. In this way, the viewer will be presented with profiles of a number of people without knowing for sure what their physical appearance is, removing the perceptions of that person's gender/sexual identity.
That's the overview of what I am working on. Now here's the participation part...
I need as many people to participate as possible, so don't be shy! If you want to participate, send me a message/email. Here's the info I'll need from you:
- A nickname, alias, or initials you'd like me to use as part of your profile. It can be something you actually use online or something completely unique. I can also use your first/last initials. I won't use any legal or full names.
- 1 to 3 of your favorite colors or colors you are drawn to or like to wear.
- a few words and/or images you'd use to describe yourself (don't send photos of yourself though!)
- a few words and/or images you'd use to describe your interests.
- pictures and/or words that reflect your philosophy/take on life. This can be anything that you feel represents how you live your life and interact with the world. Religion, politics, your dream job, mantras, your view of the world, your views on society, your ideal life, your goals, anything that describes how you feel you fit in the world. No judgement! If your outlook on life is cats, by all means, send a cat photo. It doesn't have to be profound.
- All of these things can be as simple or as detailed as you like.
- Think of things you might share on an online profile (facebook, okcupid, live journal, tumblr, etc.)
- Also think of things you might use to customize your online profile (themes, skins, backgrounds, cover photos, etc.)
- Try to describe yourself without describing how you look.
- If anything seems confusing, just ask me :)
You can reply here or send me an email at vincent.frano(at)gmail.com
I'll need responses by May 10th at the latest. I'll post the final piece on my art blog when complete and I will send each participant a link. I can also send you a high-res scan of your profile.
x-posted to ftm